Montecito, Calif. – The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office has confirmed that the Montecito home of Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi was burglarized on July 4, 2020. The residence appears to have been targeted due to the victim’s celebrity status. The exact description of the items that were taken is not available for release, but they are described as high value jewelry and watches. Sheriff’s detectives and forensics technicians have been conducting an extensive and on-going investigation. The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office is in contact with other law enforcement agencies to determine if this is related to additional recent celebrity home burglaries.
The Sheriff’s Office would like to remind residents of some precautions that can be taken to protect your home and valuables within:
- Avoid social media post that let people know that you are away on vacation
- Leave lights or a television on to give the appearance of someone being home
- Consider programmable lighting that can be scheduled to turn on and off
While you are out of town:
- Make arrangements for your mail delivery so that it does not accumulate and showcase that nobody is home.
- Inform your neighbors that you will be away and encourage them to report suspicious activity
- Inform the Sheriff’s Office that you will be away so we can provide extra patrol or premises checks by calling (805)681-4100
Anyone with suspect information is encouraged to call Detective Daniel Kohli at 805-681-4150.