The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office (SBSO) Custody Operations Branch enhances public safety by managing offenders in a safe, humane, and cost-efficient manner consistent with sound correctional principles and constitutional standards.
We are committed to excellence, emphasizing accountability, diversity, integrity and professionalism. We shall assess the needs of offenders and provide services that assist offenders in the transition and reintegration back into the community..
We will preserve the confidence that the public has placed upon us to aid in developing a safe and secure community through having a positive impact on the persons we detain by maintaining a fair, impartial, and humane environment at all the facilities under our supervision.
The Custody Operations Branch is an innovative leader within the Corrections profession and is an integral component of the criminal justice system. The community is a safer place to live and work because Custody Operations provides services and programs that allow for the appropriate management and supervision of offenders
We recognize Corrections as our chosen career. The employees of the Custody Operations Branch are cornerstones of the agency. We share a common purpose and a commitment to the highest professional standards and excellence in public service. The Custody Operations Branch is committed to our employees and continually strives to promote professional staff development.
- Provide leadership in public safety and ensure model practices through supervision and management of offenders.
- Create and consistently apply practices to ensure a safe and healthy environment in all our operations.
- Promote the Corrections profession and staff development.
- Create a highly effective workforce whose practices demonstrate the highest professional standards.
- Develop and implement quality programs and services that provide offenders the opportunity for positive change.
- Recognize the interests of victims, volunteers and criminal justice providers and acknowledge their input in the Agency’s management of offenders.
Honesty & Integrity
What does Honesty & Integrity mean to Custody Operations Employees?
- Being consistent and equitable to everyone
- All employees in government being open and truthful in their dealings with each other and the citizens they serve
- Doing the right thing in adverse situations
- Each employee works for the good of the whole rather than personal gain
- When citizens receive a response, they believe it and trust it
- Employees operate and communicate truthfully, transparently, and respectfully
Leadership & Teamwork
What does Leadership & Teamwork mean to Custody Operations employees?
- We strive to achieve the objectives of our Custody Teams
- We are supportive and take responsibility for the success and failure of the group
- Team members cooperate with each other, work to gain trust and respect of all, encourage collaboration
- Leaders motivate and inspire others and leverage successes by helping others to succeed
- Have a positive “can do” attitude
Responsive to All Citizens
What does Responsive to All Citizens look like in Custody Operations?
- Citizen/customer service driven
- Every citizen has value
- Equitable and timely service
- Easy access to government
- Collaborate with citizens to identify and address their needs
- Embrace diversity and tailor programs and service accordingly
Focus on Results
What does “Focus on Results” look like in Custody Operations?
- Planning for desired outcomes by setting measurable goals
- Gathering, analyzing data and reporting performance on desired outcomes
- Don’t confuse effort with results
- All employees know what the goals are and what their role is in supporting and achieving desired results
- Focus action plans on responding to data and adjust/make course corrections to achieve desired results
Policy of Non-Discrimination based on Disability
The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office does not discriminate based on disability in admission and access to its services, programs, or activities at the Santa Barbara County Jail. Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) The Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Office has designated an ADA COORDINATOR to carry out the Office’s compliance with the non-discrimination requirements of the ADA. Information concerning the provisions of the ADA and this Office’s compliance are available from the Custody Continuous Quality Assurance Unit:
Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office
4436 Calle Real
Santa Barbara California 93110
Phone Number: 805-681-4223 (Santa Barbara County Southern Brach Jail, Santa Barbara office)
Phone Number: 805-554-3122 (Santa Barbara County Northern Branch Jail , Santa Maria office)
ADA Hotline Phone Number: 805-681-4095
ADA Coordinator email address: ADA@sbsheriff.org