WELCOME TO THE SHERIFF’S CIVIL UNIT
The Civil Unit is a branch of the Judicial Services Bureau of the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office. The Civil Unit is dedicated to civil enforcement and process of service. We can assist residents and businesses in Santa Barbara County with the service of various types of civil process such as temporary restraining orders, evictions, wage garnishments, bank levies, summons, claims, real and personal property levies and sales. The majority of procedures and laws governing the service and execution of civil process are covered in the California Code of Civil Procedure. All forms, guidelines and fees are primarily set by the legislature and written into California Codes.
The law requires that any civil process brought to the Sheriff for service must be valid on its face, issued by a competent authority, and accompanied by adequate legal instructions.
**The Sheriff’s Civil Unit is not permitted to give legal advice nor can we conduct investigative services including computer inquiries (DMV, arrest records, etc.) to verify name and or addresses; therefore, successful service of documents is not guaranteed. All service information must be provided by the requestor.**
CIVIL OFFICE LOCATIONS
SANTA BARBARA CIVIL OFFICE
Serving South County (Goleta, Santa Barbara, Summerland, Montecito, Carpinteria)
Physical Address: 1105 Santa Barbara Street Santa Barbara, CA 93101
(across the street from the District Attorney’s office under archway) MAP
Mailing: PO Box 690, Santa Barbara, CA 93102
Phone: (805) 568-2900
Fax: (805) 568-2909
SANTA MARIA CIVIL OFFICE
Serving North County (Santa Ynez Valley, Solvang, Buellton, Santa Maria, Guadalupe, New Cuyama, Lompoc, and the Lompoc Federal prisons)
Physical Address: 312-O East Cook Street, Santa Maria, CA 93454
(Enter screening station off Miller Street and take stairs or elevator to second floor building D) MAP
Mailing: PO Box 5049, Santa Maria, CA 93456
Phone: (805) 346-7430
Fax: (805) 346-7437
Hours – Monday through Friday from 7:30am to 4:30pm.
Closed on court holidays (Click HERE for list of holidays)
All request for service must include the following:
- Original instructions directed to the Sheriff and signed by the plaintiff or the attorney of record. (click HERE for instruction forms) The instructions must state the process to be served, the person or entity to be served, the location for service, and be signed by the attorney of the plaintiff or by the plaintiff if they have no attorney. We cannot take information from the court documents nor can we attempt service at post office boxes.
- A complete set of documents for each person you want served and an additional copy for the Sheriff’s file.
- The proper fee for service or a court ordered fee waiver. (Click HERE for fee schedule.)
- Santa Barbara County Superior Court Website (legal forms, court fees, additional self-help links)
- Santa Barbara County Law Library (legal resource and research)
- California Courts Self-Help Center (general assistance on a variety of topics)
- California Courts Self Help Housing (information on eviction and housing)
- California Courts Online Forms (current PDF fillable legal forms)
- Legal Aid Foundation of Santa Barbara County (free legal assistance for Santa Barbara County residents)
- Santa Barbara County Bar Association Lawyer Referral (locate an attorney)
- California Rural Legal Assistance (free civil legal services to low-income residents of California rural communities)
- Housing is Key (tenant and landlord information, rental assistance and community resources)
- Guide to Tenant and Landlords’ Rights (landlord and tenant information)
- Santa Barbara County Housing Transition Resource Guide (Printable flyer of immediate resources within Santa Barbara County)